Vice President, Underwriting (Remote)
Location: United States
Remote Opportunity: 1
Requisition Number: 3280
Position Title: VP, Underwriting
The Vice President of Underwriting role is responsible for underwriting and actuarial activities that result in competitive and profitable pricing to support the Government Unit, which represents $1.6B in annual revenue. Overseeing the Underwriting team, this role will lead the development and application of the underwriting strategy for new and existing business to assure proper alignment of benefits and rates to financial goals. Lastly, the VP will collaborate with client engagement, network management and other key internal partners to ensure proper financial performance is achieved across all Government contracts.
Primary Job Responsibilities
• Represents DentaQuest as the external and internal face of the Underwriting Department within the market with clients and executive leadership. This will include Winning Pricing Strategy meetings with executive stakeholders and presenting finalized rate proposals to the entire enterprise.
• Oversees all rates and approves mid-level to lower-level accounts within the Underwriting team with regards to new business, existing business, and expanding business.
• Develops and executes an underwriting strategy that incorporates social, judicial and legal developments and creates alignment amongst key stakeholders to achieve financial goals and client satisfaction.
• Leads collaboration with Business Development, Client Engagement, Network Management and other key departments in support of new and existing business financial performance and ensures implementation of sold and renewing accounts as well as the accuracy of the group contract.
• Provisions financial risk analysis, underwriting and actuarial services for business initiatives including entry into new markets and segments.
• Supports strategic initiatives by collaborating with business owners, users and information technology operations.
• Provides support in keeping current sales reporting tools, Underwriting Databases, and associated tracking systems up to date.
• Manages regulatory requirements with Insurance Regulators and internal / external auditors as needed.
• Develops, documents and monitors training materials to ensure high service quality and proficiency.
• Actively monitors competitors' rates, benefits, and financial arrangements.
• Provides pricing expertise in support of new marketing, clinical, and product initiatives.
• Collaborates with Product Teams in the design, pricing and implementation of new products.
• Fully engages in problem solving activities to develop and implement a culture of continuous process improvement along with key metrics that meet or exceed corporate goals.
• Develops, attracts, retains and leads the Underwriting team and instills a high-performance culture by training, coaching, providing feedback, performance management, rate oversight, and aligning resources to meet business objectives.
• Participates in ad hoc task forces and corporate projects and initiatives.
• Other duties as needed or required.
• BA/BS degree.
• 10 years of industry experience, with a minimum of 5 years underwriting experience.
• At least 5 years of previous experience managing high performing teams.
• Thorough knowledge of the latest underwriting policies and procedures in the external market.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the health dental insurance business -including but not limited to products, operations, rating and risk assessments.
• Proven ability to develop and accomplish goals through execution of business plans and underwriting strategies.
• P&L management experience.
• Strong problem solving, conflict resolution, planning and organizing skills.
• Demonstrated sales, negotiation, communication and presentation skills.
• Working knowledge of actuarial rating and pricing models.
• Ability to facilitate internal activities: underwriting, actuarial, statistical, claims, accounting, and contracts.
• A self-starter with good judgment, integrity, able to adapt to a fast-paced environment and multitask successfully.
• Ability to successfully manage multiple projects with changing priorities.
• Proven teacher, coach, mentor and change leader.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Comfortable attending additional training as requested/deemed necessary.
• Incumbent must be able to communicate effectively.
• Requires overall light physical effort (up to 25lbs.)
• Manual dexterity and sitting is required in carrying out position own position responsibilities (i.e. use of personal compute).
• Ability to travel or move about within and outside serviced facilities required.
• Incumbent works primarily in either a private or shared office environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
** In accordance with DentaQuest’s Compliance Plan, employee must conduct DQ business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to manager or DQ’s Compliance Officer. **
DentaQuest’s Affirmative Action Program affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see Human Resources for additional information regarding this Program.
Community / Marketing Title: Vice President, Underwriting (Remote)
At DentaQuest, we believe that everyone should live life free of dental disease. As a purpose-driven, double bottom line company that is improving oral health for everyone, we are transforming the oral health system – from the way we provide care and pay for it, to how we talk about it and prioritize it in our policies and communities.
Meaningful change requires a revolution in oral health. We are redefining what it means to prevent disease and provide better access to care for everyone. We are going beyond the dental chair to reshape the oral health system, addressing total health and the social and cultural factors that impact it.
To make this revolution a reality, we harness our unique reach and insights to advance policy, financing, care, and the community. That means solving problems in a flexible and efficient way, testing and trialing to create new solutions and delivering measurable outcomes for the people we serve.
The people of DentaQuest have a common purpose, and we work together with passion, perseverance and focus to achieve a nation where no child suffers from the pain of tooth decay. Where adults keep all their teeth for their entire lives. Where every person has access to quality dental care.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Boston, Massachusetts US
CountryEEOText_Description: Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: DentaQuest is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.